Data Migration Process
The following is a general process for migrating data to Metrix. More detailed guidance for most steps can be found in related sections.
- Gather requirements:
- Discuss with the organization precisely what it will be using Metrix for, and make a list of those functions.
- With the organization, create a list of what data is required to perform the functions they have identified. In other words, identify the entities (contacts, committees, programs, campaigns, events, etc) that will be tracked.
- With the organization, determine the nature of the relationships between the various entities.
- Gather existing data:
- Determine what data already exist that capture the items discovered in step 1.
- Obtain and examine the raw data files that will eventually be imported into Metrix.
- Prepare the data for Metrix:
- Eliminate as many inconsistencies, duplicates, and errors in the raw data as possible.
- Consolidate the data. This involves organizing the data in a table (or Excel spreadsheet) so that each row contains a unique record, and each column a unique attribute. Often, this involves gathering data from multiple sources into a single table and then consolidating the records so that duplicates are removed, yet all essential data is represented.
- Design and create Interactions, custom tables, fields, and value lists that correspond to the requirements.
- Place the existing data in the Metrix Import Template (MetrixImportTemplate_version1-3.xls ), which is included by default in the Metrix folder (C:/Program Files/fcny/Metrix/).
- Import the data to the preview area in Metrix:
- Import the contact, location, Interaction Definition and Interaction data into Metrix's Preview Area. Import all data (with the exception of custom Interaction tables) before migrating it from the preview area into database tables. The Preview Area forms allow you to check your data to ensure the fields are mapped properly, and you can also make any necessary changes to the data while in the preview area.
- Review the values that are being imported to existing lookup tables to determine whether you want to add the value to the lookup table, or you would rather choose an existing value in the lookup table to convert the value(s) to.
- Move the data from the preview area into the Metrix tables:
- Migrate the data from the Preview Area to the working Metrix database tables.
- Import and implement custom Interaction tables using the devmodule.mdb tool that ships with Metrix. For more information, please see Planning Custom Interactions.