Installing the Metrix client
Please follow these instructions if you do not already have a Metrix client installed on your computer.
Note: The Metrix Server must be installed and configured before client installations can occur. Please see Installing the Metrix Server for instructions on installing the server.
- Please review the Installation Guide Introduction and ensure you have downloaded the latest client installation file from http://Metrix.fcny.org to your desktop.
- Double-click on the client installation file. When the splash screen is displayed, click Next to move to the Welcome screen and click Next again to move to the License Agreement screen.
Figure: Splash Screen
The Fund for the City of New York distributes Metrix with a license modeled on the Apache open source license. Please read the license carefully and feel free to contact us should you have any questions (see Installation Guide Introduction for contact information).
- Select I accept the terms in the license agreement and press Next to move to the Customer Information screen.
Figure: License Agreement
- Enter your user name and organization.
If you would like the Metrix shortcut to be displayed for all users who log onto this computer select Anyone who uses this computer. If you only want the shortcut displayed for your user account select Only for me.
- Press Next to move to the Destination Folder screen.
Figure: Customer Information
The Metrix client files will be installed in Program Files\fcny\Metrix on the drive you have designated as the active installation drive.
Note: The destination folder cannot be changed.
- Press Next to move to the Setup Type screen.
Figure: Destination Folder
- Press Next to accept the default option of Install new Metrix client and to move to the Ready to Install screen.
Figure: Setup Type
- Review the installation details. If anything is incorrect press Back to make changes to any of your selections. Otherwise press Install to begin the installation process.
Figure: Ready to Install
Once the installation is complete a confirmation screen will appear.
- Press Start wizard to launch the Client Configuration Wizard, which will connect your Metrix client to the Metrix Server database and the server files.
Figure: Launch the Client Configuration Wizard
- When the splash screen is displayed, press Next.
Figure: Splash Screen
- Press Next to accept the default option Configuring a new Metrix 1.3 client and to move to the next screen.
Figure: Confirming the Configuration of a New Client
You will be asked to locate the client file, Metrix.adp, so it can be connected to the server files and to the database.
Note: This file was installed in Program Files\fcny\Metrix on the drive you have designated as the active installation drive.
- Locate Metrix.adp , click once on it to select it and press Next.
Figure: Locating the Metrix.adp File on Your Computer
Connecting the client file to the server files will allow you to use the forms and reports stored in them.
Note: The server files are most likely on the same computer as the Metrix Server database and will be in the Program Files\fcny\Metrix\Server directory on that computer.
- Press Browse... to open the Locate server file dialog and find interactsql.adp.
Figure: Locating interactsql.adp to Set References
- Click on interactsql.adp to select it and press the Open button. The file name and path will be inserted into the textbox.
Figure: Selecting interactsql.adp to Set it As a Reference in Metrix.adp
- Repeat the previous step for the reportsql.adp file.
Figure: Locating reportsql.adp to Set References
Figure: Selecting reportsql.adp to Set it As a Reference in Metrix.adp
Note: In order to proceed you must have the following information. If you are unsure of any of these values, please consult your system administrator.
- Either type the name of the computer where the Metrix Server database is installed or press Browse... to locate it on your network.
Include the instance name if the Metrix Server database is running on its own instance (COMPUTER\INSTANCE). The default instance name is Metrix.
- If you use Windows NT authentication to connect to the server, select Use Window NT Integrated Security. Otherwise select Use a specific user name and password for SQL Server authentication and type the sa password into the Password field. If there is no password leave the field blank.
- Select the Metrix Server database name from the drop-down list and press Configure .
A progress bar will appear as the system connects the client to the server files and to the database.
Figure: Configuration Progress Bar
An Access application window will appear in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. This is normal behavior. Do not attempt to close or maximize this window as this will disrupt the installation process.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed and configured your new Metrix client. If you would like to view or print the installation log, press View Log.
Figure: Successful Client Installation
Back To Top